Greece is waiting 900,000 travelers from Serbia this year, the Minister of Tourism Vassilis Kikilias told Greek media after meeting local tour operators in Belgrade.
The Greek Tourism Minister is on an official visit to Serbia as part of the ministry’s efforts to promote Greece and its tourist destinations.
Among other things, Kikilias said that the Greek tourism product is now focused on promoting lesser-known regions such as central and western Macedonia, as well as the islands in the northeast Aegean.
Speaking generally about this year’s tourist season, the minister said “the data is very encouraging” ddespite current global challenges.
According to Kikilias:
– half a million direct travelers are expected this year in Greece from the United States
– French travelers have Greece as their first destination of choice
– strong tourist flows are expected from the United Kingdom, Scandinavian countries, Israel and also from the Balkan countries
– TUI and DER Turistik in Germany provide “outstanding feedback” on bookings
– Greece is the number 1 road destination for Romanian travellers.
In addition, the Minister referred to the state-funded program that subsidizes vacations for low-income families and individuals – known as “Tourism for All” – which this year will be extended to more beneficiaries.
Kikilias said ministry this year was allocate 30 million euros to the country’s “social tourism” program, which will operate this year with the use of a “free pass” card.
The holiday subsidy scheme also benefits tourism businesses in regions of Greece that rely primarily on domestic tourism.
To follow GTP headlines on Google News to keep up to date with all the latest news on tourism and travel in Greece.