About 150 people evacuated from Carlsbad Caverns National Park

An estimated 150 people were evacuated after being stranded at Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico. Cavern Park officials allowed people to safely leave the site just before midnight Saturday. Earlier in the week afternoon, flash flooding issues caused officials to issue shelter-in-place for several hours at their visitor center. A park ranger told sister station KOAT that the caverns would be evacuated as soon as an order was given. Park rangers attempted to evacuate the tourist attraction on Saturday afternoon, due to heavy rain in the area. However, National Route 7, which is one of the main roads that passes close to the park, was impassable. This led to the shelter-in-place order. Albuquerque residents Robert and Stephanie Saavedra were among those stranded in the caves, along with their three children. Stephanie said they were halfway through the visit when park officials issued the evacuation order. They walked 20 minutes back to the visitor center building. The family soon discovered that the road was impassable. “We asked about food and water, since we have three young children,” said Stephanie Saavedra. “They don’t even know there is food and water for us. We walk around and wait.” The family told KOAT that staff at the tourist attraction gave them food, but they had to pay. They also said that the caves lacked food, so some people were unable to eat. As of Sunday morning, the city of Carlsbad has closed the caverns until further notice. KOAT will continue to provide live, online updates as details become available.

About 150 people were evacuated after being stranded at Carlsbad Caverns State Park in New Mexico.

Cavern park officials allowed people to safely leave the site just before midnight on Saturday.

Earlier in the afternoon, flash flooding issues prompted authorities to set up shelter-in-place for several hours at their reception centre. A ranger told sister station KOAT that the caverns would be evacuated as soon as an order was given.

Park rangers attempted to evacuate the tourist attraction on Saturday afternoon, due to heavy rain in the area. However, National Route 7, which is one of the main roads that passes close to the park, was impassable. This led to the shelter-in-place order.

Albuquerque residents Robert and Stephanie Saavedra were among those stranded in the caves, along with their three children. Stephanie said they were halfway through the visit when park officials issued the evacuation order. They walked 20 minutes back to the visitor center building. The family soon discovered that the road was impassable.

“We asked about food and water, since we have three young children,” said Stephanie Saavedra. “They don’t even know there is food and water for us. We walk around and wait.”

The family told KOAT that staff at the tourist attraction gave them food, but they had to pay. They also said that the caves lacked food, so some people were unable to eat.

As of Sunday morning, the city of Carlsbad has closed the Caverns until further notice.

KOAT will continue to provide live, online updates as details become available.

About Ariella McGuire

Check Also

Success of the high season for visitors to tourist destinations in the province of Almeria

IMPRESSED TOURISTS: The province of Almeria scored top marks this summer Photo credit: Diputacion de …